Re: Using Home Assistant to control house battery and EV battery charging with octopus intelligent go
Hi John, sorry to hear you have admitted defeat for now. I am hoping that you can leave it for a bit in the box, and take a fresh look at the project a little later.

From what I can understand from the post linked to, is that you can add this to the HA via a custom repository, and once you input account details or whatever it needs, it can allow you to have control over your Inverter.

So, fingers crossed you take a look again, with fresh eyes/mind.
Re: Using Home Assistant to control house battery and EV battery charging with octopus intelligent go
Hi Will, I’ve been following some of your tutorials and this thread as need to do exactly the same as John. For now I have linked HA to FoxESS via cloud and looks like that’s working, and I’ve already hooked up my Octopus IOG acct aswell. I’d it possible to create charging rules for my batteries based on IOG status via the fox cloud integration or do I need to go down modbus route (I realise I have to accept 5minute rule)?

If I can use this approach is there a tutorial on building and deploying a rule that will integrate my inverter with my smart ev charging to avoid battery drain?

Thanks

Jason
Re: Using Home Assistant to control house battery and EV battery charging with octopus intelligent go
JaseP13 wrote: ↑Fri May 01, 2026 11:23 pm Hi Will, I’ve been following some of your tutorials and this thread as need to do exactly the same as John. For now I have linked HA to FoxESS via cloud and looks like that’s working, and I’ve already hooked up my Octopus IOG acct aswell. I’d it possible to create charging rules for my batteries based on IOG status via the fox cloud integration or do I need to go down modbus route (I realise I have to accept 5minute rule)?

If I can use this approach is there a tutorial on building and deploying a rule that will integrate my inverter with my smart ev charging to avoid battery drain?

Thanks

Jason
The short answer Jason, is to determine if you can make ANY adjustments to the system with the cloud integration.
If you can change the work mode of the Inverter via the cloud (I am not sure you can?) then you should be able to make a working solution.

If this is not going to work, then please read whole thread in regards to the linked solution for HA from user nicois. I think this can adjust the work mode of the Inverter.
Re: Using Home Assistant to control house battery and EV battery charging with octopus intelligent go
I have a Gen1 H1 inverter and a Tesla Model Y (found out my Gen1 isn't compatible with the Octopus Charge Pack they've just introduced).

Going to look into seeing whether I can get something like this going...
Re: Using Home Assistant to control house battery and EV battery charging with octopus intelligent go
Update on the above, following some references. I have now got the Waveshare device up and running alongside a new home assistant setup.

With the charging cycle on intelligent go, the simple criteria I have is:

"If current octopus sensor indicates we are currently on off peak rates, charge the battery, if we are not, discharge the battery"

This allows the battery to charge during my 6 hours at night, and also to jump on that lower rate when the slots are scheduled.

I ended up routing an exterior grade CAT6 out the side of my attic where the inverter is, then down all the way down the side of the house, to my study where the Waveshare is situated. This was ultimately much easier to manage than trying to get a socket sorted in the attic space.
Post Reply