Page 1 of 1
How can I be exporting to the grid and charging my battery at the same time
Posted: Fri Oct 02, 2026 4:14 pm
by dahearn
I am struggling to understand what fox cloud is telling me. The battery is charging from the grid but I am exporting to the grid at the same time and my home is using negative kW ?? How can this be possible ?
Re: How can I be exporting to the grid and charging my battery at the same time
Posted: Fri Oct 02, 2026 4:39 pm
by Dave Foster
You haven't said whether this is a new install or not, but looks very much like the CT clamp has been installed facing the wrong way - you should never see a negative house load.
Re: How can I be exporting to the grid and charging my battery at the same time
Posted: Fri Oct 02, 2026 5:16 pm
by dahearn
The solar panels and battery have been in for some time. I have only seen this behaviour on fox cloud since my energy supplier Octopus fitted a smart meter about a year ago. fox cloud made perfect sense to me up to that point and I don't recall seeing a negative value before that. whatever the solar panel was generating and battery supply and the import from grid added up to what was being consumed by the house. After the installer put the smart meter in he was shocked to learn I had a battery and said that should have been isolated during the smart meter install. It has left me worrying if the meter is calibrated correctly. fox seems to think there is another power source somewhere.
Re: How can I be exporting to the grid and charging my battery at the same time
Posted: Fri Oct 02, 2026 5:30 pm
by Dave Foster
It looks like they have clipped the CT clamp on the wrong way round when they fitted the smart meter, it’s a small current transducer that clips to the live feed of the smart meter.
You can either reverse it yourself or call the smart meter installer or your original installer and ask them to correct it, the inverter will still generate solar but it won’t work properly as a battery system and will likely cost a lot more if it is not corrected.
Re: How can I be exporting to the grid and charging my battery at the same time
Posted: Fri Oct 02, 2026 5:33 pm
by dahearn
Thanks for the help. I will get in touch with the installer
Re: How can I be exporting to the grid and charging my battery at the same time
Posted: Fri Oct 02, 2026 5:54 pm
by MaterialBarracuda48
Just DIY it, it's pretty simple
Picture here with open clamp, so you can see where to unclip it.